Monday, May 6, 2013

Packing for a Mini Expedition

My bicycle is packed into its box, hopefully protected well enough for its flight to the west coast of the United States. Panniers, tools, and clothing are packed in my trekking pack to be checked as well. Electronics are all in my carryon. It should be more difficult to pack for a 700-mile bicycle tour through California, but it's rather straightforward.

Take a look inside. It's my bike in a box. 

This tour is going to be rather simple in some ways, but challenging in others. The only true point of reference I have is a 1,800-mile tour through east Africa, so this will be different, if nothing else. I expect the roads to be better, and the bicycle more efficient than the Trek 820 mountain bike I used in Africa. However, I am not as physically fit as I was before. I will have access to better nutrition along my route, but it will cost more. Higher volumes of traffic could be dangerous, but could make it easier to get directions, find help, or hitch a ride if needed. Everything is a tradeoff. This will be a challenge with wind, hills, and major urban areas, but the Pacific Coast is going to be beautiful.

On my Africa ride, I set the challenge for myself to cover every inch under my own power. I did all but twice. Once, I was helped up a steep hill by Ethiopian children pushing me along. I was so happy for the polite company that I eased off my self-imposed independence and enjoyed the simple human connection. The other moment was also in Ethiopia when a paranoid soldier with a rifle forbid me to cross a bridge on my bike. I hitched a ride with a passing SUV for less than a minute, then continued. In both cases, I made myself ride 'penalty miles' to compensate for the athletic challenge. I definitely was a hard case for masochism. 

San Diego to Sequoia National Park. 700 miles-ish.

The upcoming California ride is simply for enjoyment. If I fall behind schedule, take a side trip, or get sick, I will hitch a ride. There is no need to torture myself. I am going to live each moment on the road as it comes, but still work toward my destination of Sequoia National Park.

I chose that destination as I will be working in the area for the summer. I have two weeks free before my contract starts, so I am possibly doing the longest bike-commute to work anyone has ever done. I am packing not only what I need for the tour, but also what I will need for the job when I arrive on the bicycle. Maybe my masochism persists.

I leave May 23. I will post photos here.

Enjoy my blog, and this video of shameless self-promotion. Kyle.


No comments:

Post a Comment