Saturday, May 25, 2013

Time off in Los Angeles

Today I cycled a little bit around town just to run errands, but have otherwise rested my legs. I have some pain on the insides of both knees that is most likely being caused by an improper seat adjustment. I've never toured on this bike before, so these small problems are to be expected. I'm only riding 14 miles tomorrow morning, so there will be plenty of time to play with the seat and see what feels best.

Tomorrow I will go to a BBQ in Pacific Palisades, just north of Santa Monica. Coincidentally, the person I'll be staying with in Fresno will be there, so I'm unloading all nonessential items from the bike and sending them forward by car. Maybe it's my aching knees, or my newly-thirty laziness, but I see no need to suffer through the ride with all that weight for pride and country. Let the car carry it. I'll continue ultralight up the coast.

The items being sent are things I need for my job upon arrival in Sequoia National Park. After tomorrow, the only things on the bike will be the bare bones supplies to finish the tour itself.

I'm enjoying LA more than I thought I would. It is huge, and as a cyclist I fall victim to the same gridlock traffic patterns as the drivers. It takes a bit longer to cycle places than expected, but at least I don't have to worry about parking.

There was a free outdoor concert tonight in the park that contains the LaBrea Tar Pits and some giant rock that was trucked in from somewhere outside the city. For a town with a lot of Hybrid cars, there also seems to be a lot of fuel consumption and engine idling. 

Nevertheless, I'm enjoying my hosts' company. They are experienced cyclists and have given me a lot of useful information. I'm not sure where I'm staying tomorrow night, but that is half the fun in my mind. Campsites are booked for the holiday weekend, but there are cheap biking sites that some camps have that are first come, first serve that I'm hoping to benefit from. I can thank my cycling hosts for the tips.

I'll check in tomorrow if I can find wifi. I am updating from an iPod, so no 3G option. I'm sure I'll hit a cafe at some point. 

Keeping strong! Kyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment